File details

A lecturer emerging from the gate. Doorway to St John's College, Cambridge. Built in 1516 by the mason William Swayne. The statue above the door is of St. John the Evangelist the patron saint of the college. The rest of the carvings are the symbols and coat of arms of the Foundress of the college, Lady Margaret Beaufort. Her charges supporting the shield are mythical beasts called yale - chimera with the head of a goat, the body of an antelope and the tail of an elephant - Duncan Phillips - 2010-09-17
powered by infradox.com